(S.S.I. 1989) was an operational level game covering
a hypothetical Soviet invasion of western Europe sometime in the
early '90's. There were a number of interesting features in this
- News reports of events, including updates on the
political climate as the campaign progressed.
- Special operations and an off-map North Atlantic
campaign. You could redeploy some of your light forces to
the Iceland and Norway campaigns. Send too little and the
naval war might not go your way. Send too much and say
good bye to Denmark.
- Weather forecasts. Accurate for a day or two, not so
accurate beyond that. Bad weather interfered with air
operations and orbital recce capability. Temperature and
Humidity modified chemical weapons effects.
- 640x200 16 color EGA graphics. This was rather advanced
for the time.
- ST and Amiga versions had mouse support. The DOS version
missed out on mouse support due to the requirement that
it run on a 384K Tandy. Things have changed...
Scale: Operational, 25km per hex/12 hours per
Topic: Soviets vs. NATO, 1990's.
Systems: Atari ST, Amiga, DOS.
To Norm Koger's: Home Games Observations